| 1886 - 1953|
||15 March 1886
||Craven, North Carolina, United States
||Craven, North Carolina, United States 
||10 April 1953
||New Bern, Craven, North Carolina, United States 
|Agency: Good Shep (?) Hospital |
|Cause: Fell on stone steps and struck back - cervicle spine fracture |
||28 Feb 2015 |
||Caroline Koonce, b. Jan 1851, North Carolina , d. 12 Aug 1928, Dover, Craven County, North Carolina |
||Josephine Holloway, b. 10 June 1884, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 13 April 1973, Dover, Craven County, North Carolina |
||18 Apr 1903
||North Carolina 
- one child died before 1910 (according to 1910 census)
- -they had a total of eleven children. Three preceded her in death.
| ||1. Hampton William Koonce, b. approx. 1907, North Carolina , d. 23 Jun 1928, Woodington, Lenoir County, North Carolina |
|>||2. Mamie Jane Koonce, b. 8 February 1908, North Carolina , d. 19 May 1940|
|>||3. Floyd James Koonce, b. 20 Feb 1910, Winter Green, Craven County, North Carolina , d. Oct 1982, Camden, Camden County, New Jersey |
| ||4. Cleotus O. Koonce, b. 12 January 1914 , Craven, North Carolina, United States , d. 6 January 1967 , Fort Barnwell, Craven, North Carolina, United States |
|>||5. Hazel Estella Koonce, b. 25 August 1914, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 02 Febrary 2009, Kinston, Lenoir County, North Carolina |
|>||6. Mary "Callonia" Koonce, b. 20 February 1918, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 10 March 2002|
|>||7. Harvey "Lamb" Koonce, Sr., b. 29 Mar 1920, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 11 Sept 1982, New York |
|>||8. Clarence Horten Koonce, b. 10 September 1922, Fort Barnwell, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 24 February 1988, Dover, Craven County, North Carolina |
|>||9. Leslie Ward Koonce, b. 15 March 1917, Craven County, North Carolina , d. 9 June 2009, Greenville, Pitt County, North Carolina |
|>||10. William Junior Koonce, Sr., b. 20 July 1929, Falling Creek, Lenoir County, North Carolina , d. 1 January 1976, Bronx, New York |
|>||11. H.O. Koonce|
||8 Jun 2008 |
» Slide Show
||1900 Census: James & Isariah Koonce|
Enumeration Date: 20 Jun 1900
Enumeration District: 45
Location: Cove, Craven County, North Carolina
#320 - Entire family is listed in online census records (Ancestry.com) as having the last name of Homer.
1. James Koonce - Head - (age 60), born Feb 1840, married 30 years
2. Mariah (looks like Isaniah?) Koonce - wife (age 60), born Oct 1839, married 30 years, mother of 6 kids with 5 still alive
3. Barfield Koonce - grandson (age 14), born Mar 1886
4. Berr Koonce - grandson (age 12), born Aug 1887
5. James - grandson (age 10), born Oct 1899
Link to full image.
||1910 Census Records|
Enumeration Date: 28 Apr 1910
Enumeration District: 16
Location: Cove, Craven County, NC
Barfield Koonce - Head (age 24)
Josephine - Wife (age 21)
Hampton W (?) - son (age 3) -- is the same "H" listed on 1920 census, but name is different.
Minnie J (?) - daugher (age 2) -- same as girl "M" in 1920 census, but name is different?
Flora - daughter - age 3 months.
Home: Township 3, Craven, NC
||1920 Census Records|
Barfield - Head (age 32) - this is a discrepancy
Josephine - wife (age 31)- discrepancy in age
Harvey W? - son (age 14)
daughter, (name starts with an M), age 11
Floyd - son (age 10)
Leslie - son (age 7)
Hazel - daughter (age 6)
Home: Township 3, Craven, North Carolina
||1930 Census Records|
Barfield - Lodger (age 45). Living with Sidney Hill and family. Listed as Married.
Industry is Log Woods.
Home: Township 3, Craven, North Carolina
- Per conversation with Hazel on 2/13 - Barfield had a brother named Richard and a brother named Barry (sp?).
- Per conversation with Clyde 4/26/06 - Barfield had three sisters - Agnes and two sisters that were younger than he.
- Per conversation with Mary on 9/21/06 - Barfield was a short man.
- Son Cleo's death certificate has his name as William B. Koonce
- birth date as written in 1900 census.
- Birth date is 1884 on tombstone.
- Death certificate has January 10, 1895 as birthday, but this conflicts with infor from 1900 census. As there is no other Barfield Koonce in the 1900 census and I know from Aunt Hazel that Barfield had a brother named Barry (sp?) I believe the Barfield I have for 1900 is indeed him - so birthday would be around 1886. Need to research further.
- Accident occured on April 6th.
- [S20] North Carolina Death Certificate.
Death Certificate for Barfield Koonce, 10 April 1953, Certificate #60, Craven County, North Carolina. County Register of Deeds, New Bern, North Carolina. Copy in possession of Taneya Koonce.
- [S52] 1930 NC Census: Craven County (Twp 3), 30 Jul 2006.
- [S17] WW1 Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, (Ancestry).
- [S51] 1920 NC Census: Craven County (Twp 3).
- [S332] FamilySearch Family Tree.
- [S8] Mitchell Cemetery , (Eastern North Carolina Genealogical Society) (Reliability: 3).
- [S3] North Carolina Death Collection 1908-2004. Ancestry.com, (Ancestry.com), 30 Jul 2006.
- [S183] Craven County Marriage Registers Index, (New Bern-Craven Public Library), http://is.gd/sXl..