Just a quick post this time, but I’ve had so many connections come out the woodwork this week from sharing family tree information online it’s been crazy.
- got an email from a possible cousin based on her husband’s lineage from former slaves on the Kemp P. Battle plantation in Edgecombe County, NC where my 4th great-grandparents were also slaves. There may be a blood connection between the slaves, but we aren’t sure and so are beginning to work collaboratively on trying to figure it all out. She found me based on a blog post I did after Robyn sent me some labor contract information
- was contacted through Ancestry from a cousin who is descended from a sister of my 3rd great-grandfather, Edward Kilpatrick of Craven County, NC. I did not have any additional information for his sister Caroline, but through the cousin, I learned that she married a gentleman named Robert White and they moved to Pitt county. More information to add to the family tree!
- got a follow-up email related to my stepmother’s Frye ancestry. We think we have linked her tentative 3rd great-grandfather Leonard Frye to a very large Frye family w/ ancestry going way back. more to do on that line…
- through my genealogy site was contacted by a Koonce descendant. No relation to me, but since I collect Koonces I have part of his family tree on the site. I will begin adding his branch to the tree later this weekend. He is descended from Phillip H. Koonce of Shelby County, Texas.
- was contacted by someone interested in the spouse of someone who’s tree I’ve been working on as the Picot family associated with Washington County, NC – one of my GenWeb projects.
- my cousin emailed me tonight to call my great-uncle. He is a brother of my maternal grandmother and is very interested in helping to figure out the origins of his Lawhorn surname. I called him and he saw an obituary in a nearby city paper of a woman whose last name was Lawhorne and informed me as a possible lead. He said his father told him that his father came from Georgia, but we are still working on that. It was great to talk to him too!
All of this has been in the last 4 days. I have hardly had time to follow-up on all of these leads, but I hope to squeeze in some time this weekend. I’ve got major projects due for school over the next couple of weeks and have a couple of activities planned on the weekend, so we’ll see. I haven’t even watched the tonight or last week’s episodes of Faces of America yet!