Today I am appearing on an episode of FGS Radio to discuss how WordPress can be used for your genealogical society website (or, historical society, family society, USGenWeb site, etc.). I am delighted to have this opportunity to share with anyone whose interested, my love of WordPress! The show starts at 2pm Eastern Time, and afterwards will be available for listening at your leisure.
I have used WordPress extensively for both genealogy and non-genealogy sites and I continue to be amazed at how much can be accomplished with it. To date, I either run, help run, or offer support for about 70 WordPress sites; I gladly look forward to working with more. WordPress offers many advantages and can truly help making your website maintenance a no-brainer while at the same time facilitating high engagement with your user base.
You can listen to the episode by clicking on the image below:
I hope you find it of use! In the future, I hope to offer more information on how to maximize its potential.
For now, here are some additional resources that may come in handy:
- WordPress.org – access themes, plugins, documentation, and the WordPress forums
- WordCamp – meetings that occur around the country by groups of people interested in WordPress
- Lorelle on WordPress – she blogs and writes all about the software
Additionally, here are a few examples of genealogy websites that use the WordPress platform:
- Iowa Genealogical Society
- Onslow County, NCGenWeb
- Shippensburg Historical Society
- Durham-Orange Genealogical Society
- San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum
I welcome communication from anyone interested in using WordPress for their genealogy site. Just send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also request access to the Facebook Group for Genealogical Society Webmasters where we share tips, suggestions, etc. – not only on WordPress, but much more.