Today I asked my mother how she would describe her grandmothers with one word:
- paternal grandmother, Lucinda — “sweet”
- maternal grandmother, Martha — “bossy”
Then, I asked Kalonji the same question:
- his paternal grandmother — “sage”
- his maternal grandmother — “gangsta”
So then, he asked me the same question:
-my paternal grandmother — “kind-hearted”
-my maternal grandmother — “adamant”
And then, I asked my father:
- his paternal grandmother – “mean”
- his maternal grandmother – he couldn’t say as she was bed-ridden most of his life and there was not much interaction.
Update: Today, Feb 16, 2007, I asked Kalonji’s grandmother, Frances the same questions. She described both of her grandmothers as “great grandmothers”, very loving, very caring and easy-going. Her grandmother Matilda was particularly so and she said she always wanted to go live with her b/c she would let the grandkids “get away with stuff”.