Would you like to help me test a website I’m working on? If so, you could win a prize!
What You Could Win: A 12-month Geni.com PRO account
Geni.com is a collaborative genealogy website with more than 100 million individual profiles. The free account gives you the ability to create an online family tree w/ unlimited storage space for photos & documents. Your family members can sign-up, also for free, to collaborate and help build family trees. The PRO account provides additional features.
How To Enter: Share your feedback on a genealogy website I’m working on
I have been working on a site for the NCGenWeb Project – a database of extracts from historical newspapers. Most of the content comes from an amazing collection of abstracts from the Raleigh Register newspaper (1799-1893) that was created in the 1940s-1950s by the then State Librarian, Carrie Broughton. I’ve only so far worked my way through the deaths from 1799-1830 years but that alone is more than 3,600 names. The rest of the content has come from my indexing efforts of a few town newspapers, plus various extracts here and there, and a few contributions from others.
I’m still in the early stages of building the site and I’m eager to have user feedback and learning if information can be found as easily as I envisioned it. Therefore, I’ve created a list of 5 tasks and invite you to answer the questions and then provide me with your overall thoughts on your experiences.
Click here to grab the questions. Once you email them back to me, along with a link to your Geni.com profile, you’re entered!
- No purchase necessary.
- Winner will be chosen at random.
- Odds of winning are directly related to how many people enter the contest.
- You can enter anytime between 9am EST March 29, 2011 and April 4th, 2011.
- You are responsible for anything in regards to the legality of entering a contest in the area in which you live.
- Rules can be updated at any time without notice.
- The winner will be notified via their provided contact information the week following the end of the contest.
- The winner will have seven days to claim their prize.
- One entry per person.
- You must have a free Geni.com account.
DISCLAIMER: I myself won a 3-month PRO subscription a couple of weeks ago, and in exchange for my continued use of the site and occasional blogging about my experiences, the Geni team upgraded my PRO subscription to 12 months. They may come to regret that! Just yesterday I sent in 4 items to the help desk w/ comments about things I encountered on the site — to say I’m an engaged user can be an understatement! In any case, I do think Geni has a great concept and I would love for others to explore what it has to offer also! See an earlier blog post of mine about it.