The past couple of days have been amazing for my genealogy research. Thanks to being contacted by another person (NK) who is researching the descendency of Rufus & Mariah McNair on behalf of a mutual cousin of ours (VM), I have learned that a Bible Record exists for the children of Rufus & Mariah!
VM is a great-grandchild of Rufus & Mariah through their youngest son Solomon. Solomon’s brother, Andrew, was my great-grandfather. In the Bible, Solomon had written the birth dates of his brothers and sisters. I talked to both VM and NK last night, and though the bible pages are faint, we believe the information to be as follows:
Rufus & Fannie had a son named either Houston or Austin (I think it may be Austin)
Rufus & Millie had son Sterling b. 10 Dec 1852
Rufus & Mariah had the following children:
- Christopher D. McNair born May 8, 1858
- David born Feb 1, 1860
- Byron W. born July 18, 1861
- Blount born March 8, 1863
- Rufus M. — (he was a son of theirs, but i’m not sure yet if he is in the bible record).
- Andrew D. born May 5, 1866
- Shedrick H. born March 3, 1868
- William H.born May 23, 1870
- Louisa born Jan 25, 1872
- Joseph H. born Feb 9, 1874
- Octavia born Dec 24, 1875
- Susan born July 10, 1878
- Sophia born Nov 19, 1880
- Sarah born March 30, 1884
- Solomon born Aug 7, 1887
The Bible was passed down to one of Solomon’s son, who’s wife likely has the bible. i would love to see it one day, but that would require a trip to Oakland, CA. VM was a great source of information when I spoke with her and I look forward to many more conversations!