Roanoke Beacon: 10 Mar 1899
Under an act titled “An act to appoint Justices of the Peace for certain counties in North Carolina,” passed by the General Assembly, the following named persons were appointed for this county:
Plymouth Township: Jas. F. YEAGER, C.J. NORMAN, W.J. JACKSON, F.R. JOHNSTON, W.C. HASSELL, Asa A. HARRISON, Geo. W. JACKSON, A.T. GAYLOR, Warren AMBROSE, J.E. REID, Levi BLOUNT and D.O. BRINKLEY.
Lee’s Mills Township: J.E. SINGLETON, R.M. PEACOCK, W.T. SPRUILL, S.B. JOHNSTON, J.E. BLOUNT, A.T. KNOWLES and W.S. DAVENPORT.
Skinnersville Township: H.M. SNELL, E.R. SPRUILL, Henderson CLIFTON and J.W. PATRICK.
Scuppernong Township: Charles MCGOWAN, Eli J. SPRUILL, G.H. HOLMES and W.H. HARDISON.
This bill reads thus: “The General Assembly of North Carolina do enact: Section 1. “That the following persons be, and are hereby elected and appointed Justices of the Peace for their respective counties for a term of six years from April 1st, 1899.