County Commissioner Proceedings – Afternoon session
July 15, 1898
The Board met at 1:30pm and proceeded to let the public roads in accordance with previous notice, commencing with Beaver Dam township viz:
- C.W. Clifton being the lowest bidder for Beaver Dam Township at $300.
- T C Holmes being the lowest bidder for Scuppernong township at $515.
- H. Freeman being the lowest bidder for Skinnersville township at $590
- C H Swain being the lowest bidder for Lee’s Mills township at $500
- Jordan Hopkins being the lowest bidder for Plymouth township at $675.
The bids by townships not satisfactory to the Board the roads of the whole county were then offered to the lowest bidder. Frank Gray being the lowest bidder for all the public roads of the county at the sum of @2,240 the same were knocked off to him at that price. The said Frank Gray being allowed until Monday next the 11th instant to give bond for the faithful p of his contract.
- Ordered that H.H. Brown be allowed the sum of $43 his account for taking tax list in Plymouth township.
- Ordered that J.T. Sitterson be allowed the sum of $30.15 his account for taking tax list in Lees Mills township, returning list, &c.
- Ordered that J.H. Snell be allowed the sum of $26.65 his account for taking tax list in Scuppernong and Beaver Dam townships, returning lists, &c.
- Ordered that M.D. Clifton be allowed the sum of $16 his account for taking tax list in Skinnersville township, retuning lists, &c.
- Ordered that N.W. Ambrose be allowed the sum of $4.80 his account for one days service as county commissioner and mileage.
- Ordered that the Roanoke Pub. Co. be allowed the sum of $5 for publishing proceedings of the Board for June and publishing notice of change in voting place in New Land precinct.
- Ordered that W H Stubbs be allowed the sum of %58.70 his account for services as Clerk of the Board of County Commissioner, issuing county and road orders, recording Sheriff’s and Treasurer’s reports, and for other services and fees.
- Ordered that J.A. Harrison be allowed the sum of $8.48 his account for one month service as keeper of poor house and one chicken for Mrs. Davenport.
- Ordered that W H Hampton be allowed the sum of $21.96 his account for supplies furnished to poor house and outside poor for June 1898.
- Ordered that T J Marriner, C.S.C., be allowed the sum of $2.20 his account for recording the names of 44 jurors at Spring term 1898.
- Ordered that Jane Stewart be allowed the sum of $1.05 her account for bal due her in case State vs. John Harris.
- Ordered that hereafter no more lawn parties or other entertainments will be allowed on the Court House grounds.
Board adjourned to meet on Monday next, July 11, 1898
Treat. W H Stubbs, Clerk