January 10, 1890
Editor Roanoke Beacon
- Our village was again enlivened last evening by a brilliant party at Capt. B. F. Spruill’s, with Miss Mattie Ludford and Mr. W. D. Holmes as managers. Our town was well represented, and everything passed off pleasantly.
- Messrs. Sikes and Holmes left this a.m., for Middleton, Conn.
- Bishop Watson preached to a large and appreciated audience, at St. David’s church (near here,) last Sunday, from the text, “Not every one that sayeth unto the Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven, but he that doeth the will of My Father who art in Heaven.” The sermon was simply grand. Three persons were confirmed during the services, viz: John J. Rowe, George Burgess and Miss Allie Hassell; and one baptized, viz: Miss Matilda Spruill, of Tyrrell county, daughter of Noah Spruill.
- Mr. McCleese, of Pamlico county, who is a brother-in-law to Dr. J. L. Hassell, of this place, be in our midst. We learn that he came over to look at a farm near here, with a view to purchasing and locating. We hope he purchased, as we would gladly welcome such worthy men in our section.
- Mr. Alfred Moore (an old gentleman who lives in Tyrrell county, 4 miles from here) was stricken with paralysis yesterday and is in critical condition with scarcely any hopes of recovery, so is physician says.
- Mr. Henry T. Hassell of our place is the happy father of another “bouncing” boy, aged about 3 weeks.